Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Crappy Day In Paradise

When I woke up Thurs. morning I never could have prepared myself for the start of the day. I went out to do chores just like every other day, less time consuming than usual as Dave was gone with three of his horses.I started by feeding the old guy first(Tex) then I went to put hay in the feeders for Jade , Jazz and Blue, usually these three are not together but with the others gone I didn't want Jade by herself....trying to avoid problems.....As I was feeding the girls showed up but no Blue, I called him and kept forking the hay still no Blue so I called him again. This horse has become quite like a dog as far as coming when he's called....so I went looking. Much to my horror and all you horse people know what I'm talking about....when I got over to the corner I saw what I thought was Blue caught in the fence......I was wrong ,what I saw was the poor fellow looking like he was caught in the fence but it was so much worse. I don't know why or what happened to him but Blue was dead. He had not a mark on him and no signs that he had been struggling. I guess I am an emotion driven person, I can't believe that in such a short time that little brat wormed his way into my heart. He went from a scrawny wormy wild bad attitude nut job to an amazing sweet natured beautiful would have been a great horse, in less than a year. I will miss him waiting for me at the gate first thing in the morning. I guess I will just miss how much he had already become a part of the routine around here.



























11 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

SO sorry! My heart goes out to you

IanH said...

Janice, that is really a tough day. I can relate as one of the hardest things that I have ever done was to put the wife's horse down. I am sure that she had a good life at your place!

Mary said...

My heart is breaking for you, I can't imagine how awful that must be. He was a beautiful handsome boy!

Linda said...

My heart goes out to you too......what a horrible thing to happen.

Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry! It's a terrible feeling. What do you think he died of? Just stress of being caught or maybe he had a heart attack and ran into the fence (seen that before).
Wile I am thinking of it do you want me to do anything with all that hair of your horses I still have? Or do you want me to send it back? e-mail me sydney[at]bitlesshorseblog.com

5 Starr's Farm said...

Janice, just read your post,so sorry about Blue, he was really starting to shape up. Did you fined out what happened?

Janice said...

Nope don't know what happened to him but it really is an oddity.I still think he choked, I won't go into details but he looked like he choked on something ,not the fence but maybe he ate something just don't know...it is just sad that's all I know.

Crystal said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that, he sure was a nice looking boy!

Shirley said...

Just got home and read this- heartbreaking. Morning Bray Farm had one of their burros die unexpectedly too. It's worse when they are young and healthy. Hugs to you an Dave, I know this is hard.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear such sad news Janice.

Janice Grinyer said...

Oh Janice ; I am soo sorry :( its never easy and its never explainable - things happen and we have no control :(

Hugs to (((you))))!

The Mares

The Girls That Share My Life

Jazz

Jazz

Moxie

Moxie

Jade

Jade

Mattie

Mattie